Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jalapeno Popper Spread

I discovered this amazing dip. It tastes similar to jalapeno poppers, so if you like those, you’ll love this dip. I made it at home and Justin devoured it. I made for a Relief Society pot-luck and got rave reviews.

*****************************
Jalapeno Popper Spread

1 c. mayonnaise
2 8 oz. packages of cream cheese
2 oz. diced jalapenos (fresh or canned. If canned, drain)
4 oz. diced green chilies, drained
1 c. parmesan cheese

Blend mayonnaise and cream cheese together until smooth. Stir in jalapenos and chilies. Pour into a microwave safe dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Microwave on high until hot, about 3 minutes.
OR
Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes for golden, crusty cheese.

Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, or French bread.

*****************************************
This is what I have discovered about this recipe. Baking is best—that golden crust is delicious and really attractive. It gives it that jalapeno popper feel for sure. To get a better “crust” sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of the spread along with the cheese. If you do not have time to bake the spread, but would like the crust, make the recipe as stated, microwave for three minutes, then broil on a medium rack for a few minutes. Be very watchful as it takes a few minutes to brown, then only a few seconds to burn.

I made it once with fresh jalapenos and once with canned. The fresh jalapenos were actually milder and they added a bit of a crunch that I liked. Just be careful and wear rubber gloves when you cut them and don’t touch any uncovered part of your body.

Also, I definitely preferred it served with French bread. It was way good! I can’t do a lot of hot things, but I was ok with this (I can only do mild salsa). There was definitely a little heat, but the cream cheese and mayo mix tempered it. So, I would say most people could generally handle this. It’s way yummy. Give it a try!

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to give this a try.

Maria said...

I'm so excited to try this! Max loves all things hot and spicy (that's what he thought he was getting with me and then found out otherwise :)) So, I'm really hoping that this comment will work because I have had about 5 not work on your blog for some reason. I always get supper ticked and give up.
I want you to know that I admire you for all you're going through, I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be! (Rachel was a pill baby) You are in my prayers every night. I won't stop till there's a baby in your arms and then I'll just pray for you twice as hard! :)
I agree with you that adoption isn't a last resort. Heck, look at Steph Egbert - they adopted two before having there own! They never stopped trying, it was just all in the Lord's time.
I saw your pictures from Thanksgiving Point, do you know how close that is to my house? If you're ever down again, let me know and we can hang out! I was supposed to be coming this week (today actually) but with gas the way it is I can't. I'll let you know when and if I ever do. Sorry this is such a novel, good thing you love to read! Maybe I should have just emailed it. I love looking at your blog! It's so fun to see you happy and doing well. Happy late anniversary! BFF :)
(your little cloud hopper buddy)

Maria said...

Okay... this is funny, you probably have gotten my posts, I just realized that yours is one of those that requires your approval. So did you like the three garden ones? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here