Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bûche de Noël


Before Thanksgiving my department had their annual dessert party. I really wanted to win ($25 gift certificate to the place of my choice for a dessert, heck ya!) so I went for the least populated dessert category: most creative. Anyway, I made a Bûche de Noël, or yule log cake. They are a French tradition taken from classic yule logs, but since many people no longer need to (or even can) burn a log on Christmas, they make this fun cake instead. It's a chocolate sponge cake rolled up with cream cheese filling. I made two cake rolls and pieced them together to look like a log. Then I frosted it with chocolate icing. I dragged a fork through the icing to make it look like bark and I decorated it with "snow" (powdered sugar) and "holly leaves" and "berries" (gum drops). I did win the most creative dessert. People were pretty impressed. They were afraid to cut into the cake. Anyway, I thought it turned out great. And it tasted good too.

6 comments:

Frederick Family said...

Wow! You are so domestically creative. It looks so yummy.a

Justin said...

where is the recipe? It looks so cool! Thanks for being my friend. :)

Kamie said...

I am impressed too! That's awesome! Congrats! :)

Liz Smith said...

that is awesome! good job! so where did you decide to get your gift certificate from?? :)

Groff Family said...

That looks really yummy, save me a piece, okay? Congrats on winning the prize, where is your $25 gift certificate to?

Melissa said...

In case you were wondering, Justin was actually me! Sorry if I creaped you out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here