Saturday, March 14, 2009

Expecting (But Not Pregnant)

photo courtesy of flickr

So my mom often says she's expecting a grandbaby (or it was two grandbaby's before Audrey was born) and I am always confused who is expecting. She reminds me that it's me. Since I am on an adoption wait-list, it's basically like being an expectant mother.

We don't have a lot of news with the adoption proceedings. Our agency (which is in Idaho and Oregon) has teamed up with an agency in Sandy, Utah. This agency in Utah has a pretty fast placement rate as they work with mothers all across the country. They are more expensive and they offer the birth moms a lot more, so I think that's why they have a higher placement rate. They're average wait time is about 4 months, so I am hopeful to be a mom before the end of summer. I am greedily hoping to be on maternity leave and get out of a nasty business trip in August. :o)

So, anyway, I have to keep reminding myself that I am expecting a baby and I need to get baby stuff. For the past few months I've kept an eye on Craigslist for good deals on baby gear. My biggest problem is that I don't have any clue what is important in choosing stuff like cribs, car seats, playards, etc. So I want advice from anyone, please. Like I've heard to get a crib with metal hardware instead of plastic pieces that can break, or to get carseats with longer crotch straps so you don't pinch the baby's thighs. Any other tips? What's worth spending money on? What has made life easier? What has made it worse? Thanks!

9 comments:

Whitney said...

I found the book "Baby Bargains" invaluable. They rate things and tell you what you can scrimp on and what you should probably invest in. Check it out! They have new versions often. Get the latest version. Good luck! Happy Expecting! We will pray for you guys:-)

Woods: said...

I'm excited for you! Gosh there are so many things and you are going to get advice from everyone about everything...BUT; one thing I have never ABSOLUTELY needed (but they are cute and can store stuff) is a changing table. I've always just changed my newborns on the bed or couch or even floor! :) My kids are still alive! :) I LOVE having a stroller, one with a basket underneath (to hold my diaper bag and shopping bags of course!). And I can't have enough diaper bags...I love them. :)If I think of anything else, I'll write it down!

Maria said...

Completely agree with the diaper changer thing - waste of space and money! I couldn't live w/o the baby swing and a johny jumper, and I would buy both used. Check out the classifieds at KSL.com they have tons of baby stuff, way more than Craigs list and if you find anything in this area I can help you out. There's always one of us Finch's going up or down! My only other advice is diapers and wipes, you can never have enough and they are so expensive. (Target brand wipes are killer-I won't use anything else) Maybe we can have our babies together! I'll keep praying for you!
Thanks for remembering my b-day!

*~*kamie*~* said...

Oooo... these are things that I need to know too! :)

I love expecting!

Amy said...

A good baby carrier...it's nice that when the baby is fussy you can strap them to you and still get stuff done. I really like my Baby Bjorn one. I've had a cheap one and it was so flimsy, it didn't support the baby well, and it was uncomfortable. In my opinion getting a really good used one is better then a brand new cheap on.

Lara said...

Amy - I've heard that about baby carriers. That it's best to get a used Baby Bjorn than a new Snugli or anything. Thanks for the advice.

Maria said...

I might just need to call you because I learned a lot this time around when it came to my seeds. I found that my lasagna pan one didn't grow as well as the two pans covered in plastic wrap - I held it up with popsicle sticks stuck in the soil. It did cut down on the watering. Mine are all too big to cover now and I am constantly watering them, but when they were covered it was ever 2-3 days. I hope they all work! Did you get the containers that have the compact soil pouch that you water and it expands? If you did, I'll be curious to see how it works because I've heard a ton of people say they can never get those to work. Also, my dividers are the kind you can plant right in the ground too, but I still take the plant out because if it doesn't decompose quickly enough you will get a bad root ball and it will literally choke itself to death. Sad huh? If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
I have a few that haven't grown yet, but hey, I am getting mushrooms in them! So see, even I don't know what I'm doing! :)

Maria said...

by the way, my sisters all swear by the baby bjorn as well. (they have all bought theirs used off of KSL too.
Plus, don't get a really big carseat, they are a pain to haul around! Graco makes one called metro-lite(I think) and it is so nice! Babies are heavy enough on their own, nevermind the huge luxury carseats they like to make now!

Meagan Spaulding said...

You MUST get a BUMBO!!! I thought that the ladies in international were crazy when they got me one but I absolutely LOVED it! It helped Asher sit up before he could do it on his own and he never got a horrible bald spot on the back of his head.
We've also really liked our adjustable crib, higher for a newer baby, then you can adjust it lower for toddlers, then it changes into a toddler bed, and then a twin. We got our new at Once Upon a Child in IF.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here