So, we always assumed that we would spell Jocelyn's nickname "Josie." But at my baby shower last week, a friend addressed a card to her and spelled it "Joci" which is a cute way to spell it. And now we're debating spellings...
Pros and cons of "Josie"
- More traditional spelling
- People will know how to say it
- People will know how to spell it
- She might be able to find mugs, keychains, whatever with her name on them. It will probably be hard to find things with the name "Jocelyn" on it, but she'll probably find some "Josie" stuff.
- People might not think "Josie" is short for "Jocelyn". They'll assume it's her full name or that it is short for Josephine or something.
- I had a great aunt named Josie
- We've already been spelling it this way
Pros and cons of "Joci"
- Unique spelling
- Easier tell it is derived from Jocelyn. Might make more sense.
- People may not know how to say it
- People will probably try and spell it "Josie".
- Not many other people with this spelling. More special and "rare"
- Also, won't find pre-printed name stuff
So what do you think? I have a name with a rare spelling. I absolutely love it, but it's been a constant battle to get people to spell it and pronounce it right. People think it is said "Laira" or "Lora". And I could never get any pre-printed name stuff when everyone else in my family could and I always felt a little sad. In fact, I still always check the keychains, magnets, placemats, whatever, but I have yet to find a pre-printed "Lara". So, what's your take on the matter? Leave me a comment. There's also a poll on the side.