Sunday, January 31, 2010

Journal Jar: Childhood lessons

I've decied to journal-type posts every Sunday. I have a list of journal entry prompts in a metaphorical jar (a website, in this case) and every week I'll choose one of those prompts and write about it. I've seen actual journal jars - an actual mason jar decorated all cute and full of slips of paper with the prompts. Very cute and fun. As a kid, I wrote in my journal daily. I was very faithful about it. That waned when I went to college and lucky for me (and all of you) it's picked up somewhat with blogging. :)

Enough of an intro. I'll get started.

***************************************************

What lessons did you take as a child?
Did any of them carry over into adulthood?


I took ballet and tap when I was about four. There were a lot of girls from my neighborhood in the class and I really enjoyed it. The studio was on 1st Street. Though it's not there anymore, whenever I drive by the building, I always think of dancing there. I was very excited to wear makeup at the recital. For our tap routine, we dresses kind of like clowns and the song went "Silly samba one-two-three, hey, hey, ole!" Our ballet routine was to a song that went "A you're adorable, B you're so beauitful, C you're a cutey full of charm. D you're delightful. E you're exciting. F you're feather in my arms."

I took gymanstics which I also really enjoyed. I did floor gymnastics in Rigby, then I ended up at a place in Idaho Falls where I did things like the parallel bars, the balance beam, and vault. I really, really enjoyed that type of gymnastics until I fell off the six foot balance beam and landed square on my back, knocking the wind out of me. It spooked me and I don't ever remember going back.

My mother made sure all of kids took at least a year of piano lessons. I really wanted to learn to play the cello but I had to take piano for a year first. I started in third grade and I hated it. For three years, I went. For three years, I didn't practice and it was torture for both the teacher and me. I asked to quit - a lot. But my mom always said no, that someday I'd wish I'd learned to play the piano because that's how she felt. I can honestly say that as an adult today, I do not regret not learning to play. I love that Justin plays and I will force my kids to take at least a year, but I am happy with my limited piano abilities. I know my way around the simplified hymn book. :) After three years, my piano teacher asked me to not come back anymore. I am forever grateful to Mrs. Beard for "firing" me since my mom wouldn't let me quit.


I took other dance courses. I took voice lessons. I took art lessons. I took swimming lessons. I was in softball for three years. My parents were great - us kids were always involved in some kind of lessons or sports. Thanks, Mom and Dad. I have a lot of great memories from those things. I know it wasn't easy juggling five kids' extra-curricular stuff, especially on a limited budget, but I am so glad you did!


As far as anything going into adulthood, I still sing. I danced in college. Because of those years of piano lessons, I can read music, and I was able to pass my music theory courses in college more easily. I can plink out the top hand of simple songs. And I just know that if I'd been allowed to play the cello, my true passion, I would be playing first chair in a major orchestra today. :)

2 comments:

Groff Family said...

I have a journal jar! It was a YW project from years ago. I started a different version of it a while back on my blog too, but as with most things, I didn't keep that up either. The one I did was specifically for adults and I found it online, it might be similar to yours.

I hear ya on the piano thing. Man, I hated it. Only Mom was right with me, I do wish I could play. I tried to quit so many times and she wouldn't let me either. I took lessons from Kathy Wendt and then from Carolyn Johns. I think I always told Mom that the teachers were mean so that I could quit. I eventually ended up taking flute lessons from Halle Stone. I was actually good at it too and she told me I was one of her best students. I think I got bored of it and quit though, and now, I still have the flute but don't have a clue what to do with it. I don't remember a thing, how sad!

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to read a bit more soon. By the way, rather good design you have here, but don’t you think design should be changed every few months?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here