Saturday, March 13, 2010

Leprechauns and Shamrocks

St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner. It is one of my favorite holidays - probably corned beef is my absolute favorite dinner and green is my absolute favorite color.

It surprises me how many people don't really care about St. Patrick's Day. Shame. That's all I have to say. What a shame. On March 17, everyone's Irish, so everyone should celebrate! Besides, Spring is definitely lacking in fun holiday festivities, so I say, why not up the ante on St. Patty's?

Do you do anything fun for St. Patrick's? Do tell.

In our house, we wear green. We eat green things (think dyed pancakes). We listen to Irish jig music. We watch a movie that has something to do with Ireland like Laws of Attraction or Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Maybe read some banshee ghost stories. And of course we eat corned beef, cabbage, red potatoes, and an Irish dessert.

Since we don't drink, our festivities lack the common Irish denomonater of whiskey and beer, but we do what we can. :)

Oh, and sometimes we wake up on the 17th to discover chocolate gold coins scattered through the house and silly tricks the leprechauns have played on us, like hiding the hairbrushes or turning the milk green.

I've been craving chocolate cake, so this year I think I'll try this recipe for Irish Chocolate Cake. I will substitute cream and almond flavoring for the Irish Whiskey. The cake is made with - surprise! - mashed potatoes so I expect it to be deliciously decadent and moist.

Share your St. Patty's Day fun with me. I would love ideas on how to make this holiday even more fun and spread that around. Seriously, don't we need some more spring festivities?

3 comments:

Liz Smith said...

i pretty much love all holidays and st pattys day is one of them. Every year they dye the chicago river green in honor of it...it's pretty awesome. i love just wearing green and pretending im irish even though i am pretty sure i don't have a single drop of irish blood in me. :P i will definitely be making some more sugar cookies this week with green frosting. i think i love holidays cuz it gives me an excuse to make cookies. :P

though im not gonna lie, i wish we got a freebie on this holiday to drink...lol.

H A L to the G's Ma said...

We never really celebrated St. Patty's day until 6 years ago our second little girlie was born. Now we go BIG. The theme for her birthday is simple, GREEN, every year. Her birthday outfit is always green, we find green ribbons for hair and I found out how to make a shamrock in their hair for this year. This year she gets to celebrate it in Mexico. I've wondered if they celebrate it in Mexico? Well, I guarantee the Welkers and the Allens will be! I love the idea of the gold coins and hiding the hair brushes and stuff. I'm going to have to try that! My husband's dad was adopted and though he has no desire to find anything about his biological family, we are almost certain he comes from a VERY strong Irish background. So, my kids fit right in!

R! said...

Hi!
Come check out my blog:
hungergamesseriestheories.blogspot.com
i LUV st. patrick's day! awesome blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here