Saturday, March 13, 2010

Pay Attention to Your Cleaners



Method recently put out this viral internet video. Kind of gives you the heeby-jeebies, huh? There's been some controversy around this video, and being in marketing, I'm all about studying strong messages. I don't want to get into the controversy, but I will say I think this ad is dang effective. It makes you squirm and really gets the point across about toxic residue in your shower.

In the past 2 months at work, I have done an enormous amount of research on bathroom cleaners. Seriously intense and sometimes boring work. I've met with scientists and chemists and buried myself in scholarly papers and clinical trials.

The point I am trying to make here is this: most mainstream cleaners can have really devastating effects. Whether it's from accidentally mixing two cleaners and getting the same chemical gas that the Germans used to kill their enemies in World War I (yep, you can make it with products in your home at this very moment), or causing asthma, or exposing your kids and the environment to toxic, caustic chemicals, common cleaners often pose greater health hazards than the germs and crap we clean with them.

I know this sounds totally preachy (and I HATE when bloggers are on high horses about how much healthier and better their lives are), but it's just been on my mind a lot lately. So just be careful. Be aware. And, oh yeah, bleach is the devil. :)

"Shiny suds, we're shiny suds..."

3 comments:

Jill Elizabeth said...

Those Shiny Suds are perverts!
Like all good ads, this is hilarious, but makes a good point.
Note to self: avoid any products marked "Shiny Suds."

Jamie Boyd said...

Yay EcoSense! I don't know what I will do when my EcoSense cleaners run out. Melaleuca should have a policy where they give a lifetime PC discount on products for past employees. Why don't you bring that up in the next employee survey? :)

Amy said...

Yeah, that's kind of creepy. I've been making my own cleaners for the last year or so, and I like it a lot better. What do you use to clean your bathroom?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here