Monday, May 17, 2010

What's Your Favorite Adoption Movie?



I am always on the lookout for positive adoption* stories. They surround us more than I realize. I'm making a list of movies that have something to do with adoption. If you know about a movie I haven't mentioned, tell me. And also, I'm looking for positive portrayals of adoption - nothing like "Problem Child" which is just horrible about propogating bad, bad stereotypes.

All the Superman movies
Elf
Juno
Anne of Green Gables movies
The Ten Commandments
The Tigger Movie
Martian Child
Annie
Tarzan


Any others?

I've heard some adoptive review boards give thumbs down to Elf and The Ten Commandments, both of which show their main characters easily turning their backs on their adoptive families in search of their "real" families. That can be true. And levels of sensitivity vary. And I'm sure mine will vary too based on my child's level of understanding and temperament about it all. Anyway, that was my disclaimer. Let me know if you can think of any other movies.



*Foster care stories too.

6 comments:

Mark said...

The Nativity, since Jesus was adopted by Joseph, great story!

Lara said...

You're absolutely right, Mark. At Christmas I even did a post about Joseph and Jesus being my favorite adoption story. :)

Shellie said...

Thats a good list.

Star Wars :)

Princess Leah and Luke were both adopted right?

I'm passing this on to the family I nanny for. They have two twin babies adopted last year and I think she would like this list.

oh and P.S. That is hilarious about dennis. I was talking with Sharla a couple weeks ago and she said something similar about how she could get him worked up about something.

p.s. p.s.

I'm trying to find my yearbook and find "female joe" I know what she looks like but can't remember her name!

Hope Jocelyn is feeling better with that fever!

Jamie Boyd said...

What about The Blind Side? I really liked that one.

Lara said...

I was totally thinking about The Blind Side when I made this list and I spaced putting it on. What a good story.

Ashley said...

Meet the Robinsons is a favorite of mine. Love the message being, "It's not about getting picked it's about finding the right one."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here