Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fourth of July Recap

Sorry for the lack of posts. They are building up in my head, but not on the blog. My family came for the famous Idaho Falls Independence Day Freedom Celebration (ranked in the nation's top 10). Everyone but my sister Julie. We missed her. But she is on the phone in this picture. :)


Lots of fun. My dad brought his boat and was able to take those who wanted to fishing and boating. We had a barbeque in my yard. And while my brothers decided dry ice can be a bit unpredictable and bloody, it's not really a 4th of July celebration without homemade explosives, so Jordan brought the potato launcher he built.






The Melaleuca Fireworks show was as awesome as ever. Joci did pretty good for staying up so late. Thank goodness Grandma was there to entertain her and take her for walks. When the fireworks started, Joci was enthralled. She sat in her stroller and stared at the sky, kicking her legs and clapping with glee.

Joci with Grandpa at the fireworks. I forgot her jacket so she wore my hoodie. It was kind of chilly.


Trying to keep warm. Grandpa even put that red cloth napkin around his neck to the keep the chill off. :)


Our little firecracker with Justin and Grandma H.


This is my favorite holiday. I LOVE family. I LOVE the craziness of homemade explosives. I LOVE macaroni salad and ding dongs wrapped in tinfoil and grilled beef. I LOVE the fireworks. Our town coordinates the fireworks with a radio program that fuses great music and narrations and snippets of historical speeches. I admit, it always makes me teary eyed thinking of our freedom and the great visions of the men and women of yesterday who created our constitution, broadened our freedoms, fought for it and for the freedom of others, and on and on. My heart just swells. Those things just speak to my spirit. I know that God ordained those men and His hand is evident in the birth of this nation - the rabble of villages fighting against one of the best trained armies in the world and winning. My heart gets so full.


A photo I took that night.

I am SO grateful that we live in a peaceful land. I know that we have troops overseas and security issues all over, but the fact that I can overeat crazy-unhealthy food, launch potatoes in my backyard, and sit amongst the community by the river to watch a beautiful display of fireworks reminds me how much peace and freedom I have on a daily basis. 

I hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day.

3 comments:

Jill Elizabeth said...

I love that the phone is in the picture for your sister! Brilliant.

I had something useful to say but it escaped my mind when I saw the word verification - "uglee." Nice, Blogger, real nice.

Alicia said...

It has been years since I have attended the Melaleuca fireworks show and this year was so much better than I can remember it. It was almost spiritual in a way. Made me want to go home for the 4th every year.

Hays Family said...

We loved being in Idaho Falls for the Freedom Celebration and being with 4 of our 5 children. Thanks so much for allowing us to share it with you. Love, MOM

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here