Cindy and Lara
This morning, I ran my first 5k race. I have been training for about a month by running around the Idaho Falls Greenbelt. However, the greenbelt is only 2.4 miles and a 5k is about 3.1 miles. I was nervous about the extra distance. I was nervous about a lot of things: a cold, semi-rainy morning, a new route I hadn't ran before, and the idea of competiting in something I am not good at nor really passionate about. I ran with my sister-in-law Cindy. It was her first race too. I got a side ache (too much breakfast?) and had to slow down for quite awhile. But we both did really good, I think. I kept a slow and steady jog pace most of the time and never got painfully winded.
moments after crossing the finish line. Cindy is crossing in the background on the right.
we reached the goal!And now on to Baby Step Two, which consists of paying down all consumer debt. It's a much longer process. I think I will actually break the baby steps down into smaller steps to make the goals a little more immediate. So for us, Baby Step Two will be paying off our credit card with the smallest balance. We will give our budget a little leniency for Christmas. So my goal is to have this card paid off by the end of the year.
Making this financial goal is really rewarding. We've been focused on needs vs.wants. I know we can do better in this department. One way I gauge my discipline is to always take a thing or two out of the shopping cart before I check out. Even if I think everything is a "need," I still find something to leave behind. Even if it means getting it next time I'm at the store, it just helps me practice patience and get out of the immediate gratification mode I've been living in for so long.
Here are some other things I've been doing (trying to do anyway):
- Limiting how many times I eat out (it's hard to say no to work friends, but I did!)
- Put off shopping trips for even just a day
- Pay attention to sales!
- Go generic for more things than I usually do
- Better about eating leftovers and not wasting food
- Borrowed my brother's camera when mine broke. I am still waiting on an estimate on repairing ours.
- Deciding not to host our annual Halloween party. *Sniff, sniff* (We didn't host it last year, either. I guess maybe it's not annual anymore)
- And again, Justin's been doing on-call work with Child Protection Services
- All my profit sharing and bonus money is not being treated as a "bonus" but goes straight to the Baby Step
- We put a goal thermometer on the door to our garage so we can see our progress every time we head out
- Oh, and I just enabled AdSense on this blog. Call me a sell-out, but maybe I'll make a dollar or two a month. So feel free to click on the ads!
I'm feeling good about it all!