Sunday, November 28, 2010

Real Housewives of Idaho

Today at church we talked about the bizarreness that is the Real Housewives of Atlanta. Or any of those other Real Housewives shows. The comment was made that we had never seen women behave like this in real life.



It made me wonder what the world would see if there was a reality TV show on the Real Housewives of Idaho.

First of all, this make believe show wouldn't be on the Bravo network or MTV or any other network like that. It would maybe qualify for TLC. Probably PBS.* That's more likely. :)

The episodes would be filled with a lot of charity and friends helping friends. So-and-so just had a baby. Let's bring her dinner and clean her house. So-and-so is moving...let's go pack boxes. Oh, and let's have a ladies Christmas party this week. Whose teenage daughter will babysit for free for service hours? That would be the drama. Although, there's always that busybody who seems to know everyone's business and stirs up gossip every now and then. ;)

I see these real housewives every day. At work. At church. In my neighborhood. They are generous. They are fun. They are vivacious. They are kind. They are helpful. They are frugal. Not very good television, huh?

They wear clothing from Target and TJ Maxx. Maybe Dillards if there was a good sale. Their faces are lined with the evidence of smiles and tears. Their hair is attractive, even if they aren't sporting the latest style straight from Hollywood. They have real figures...with average-sized breasts, a little padding on the hips, a small pooch at the belly, and a nice roundness at the arms.

Their days are filled with endless work. Snotty noses and dirty diapers. Worry about children and grandchildren. Proofing homework and packing lunches. Stretching pennies. Cooking. Reading the same book umpteen times to the baby. Racing out the door to work. Punching a clock. The occasional craft night. Hugs, kisses, long talks on the phone. They sing and love music. They laugh easily and often. Their touch is gentle and tender. Their sense of adventure is up for a backyard safari or a lunch date with an old friend. They struggle for balance, but somehow scatter sunshine everywhere they go.

Their smiles light up a room. Their heart is in everything they do. They do the right things for the right reasons. They make you feel better for spending just a few minutes with them. They are truly and utterly beautiful. Breathtakingly beautiful.

I was thinking this as I was sitting in church today (I promise I was listening to the lesson, too!). My heart was full that I can consider these amazing women my friends. I am beyond grateful that these are the women who teach my child. I couldn't ask for better role models.

It might not be that exciting, but I think the world would be a better place if everyone would watch a few episodes of The Real Housewives of Idaho.



*Upon reading this, my dad said that this "show" could be part of Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel. :)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful writing!

The Estrogen Files said...

LOL! Dirty Jobs indeed! I'd watch that.

Amy said...

Thanks for the post. Loved it.

Haylee said...

I watch the Duggars for this very reason. After watching every week, I get a little recharge like church (weird comparison -- sorry, it's true though). I want to be better, do better, love more. Michelle Duggar is like the ultimate mom to me. Grounded in her love of God and her faith. They may not be LDS, but they are darn good people if you ask me. I definitely think our world could stand to have a few more shows that are not full of gossip and vanity. :) I would watch a show about good women with "dirty jobs" ;) anyday.

Kristy Skoy said...

I would watch it! I love boring shows about REAL people!

H A L to the G's Ma said...

First of all, I have seriously considered sending the idea of following a mom around for a while, especially if her kids are sick and/or in diapers, for Dirty Jobs! Second of all, Laura, I loved this I want to share it with all my FB friends. Would you mind if I did? This post just touched my heart and I have a bunch of friends who would really enjoy this! Let me know if it's okay or not!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here