Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Biological Advantage of a Room Temperature Brain

After handing out all the Jamba Juice smoothies at a celebratory meeting with the 40 people from my department, my supervisor quieted the room by taking a poll.

"Is there anyone in this room who hasn't ever experienced a brain freeze?"

My hand shot up.

Instantly, my coworker "friends" turned on me. "Chug! Chug! Chug!"

My supervisor hushed them again. "There are people who never get brain freezes. It has to do with the position of a large nerve near the roof of the mouth. For most of us, the nerve is located closely to the roof of the mouth. It feels it when we eat or drink something ice cold and sends survival signals to brain because it thinks the body is freezing to death. Blood vessels in the brain restrict. A moment later, the body realizes it isn't freezing and a huge rush of blood pushes through those restricted blood vessels and creates that momentary intense headache. For some people, like Lara apparently, that nerve isn't as close to the roof of the mouth so they don't ever get brain freezes."

"Wow. It's like you have an evolutionary advantage," the art director quipped.

"Too bad I can't reproduce," I chimed back cheerfully.

The room goes silent. I go red. Awkward laughter ensues.

There's a reason why they call me the queen of awkward conversations at work.

6 comments:

Meagan said...

Ha! Well if Jamie, Jessica and I would have been there no awkwardness would have been. We'd have laughed with you. You are awesome, I miss you lady!

Kristy Skoy said...

I laughed when I read it. That would have been a funny moment. Even though you cant reproduce you still can laugh about it. And REALLY you have never had a brain freeze!

Lara said...

I have really never had one. And I thought it was funny. It just made everyone else feel uncomfortable. :)

Liz Smith said...

LOL....umm..yeah, a little awkward, but oh well, what are ya gonna do... :)

tisa said...

And that my friend is why we love you. :) Missed you at work the last few days.

Rachel said...

Kinda reminds me of my high school stats teacher who would occasionally make jokes about her cross-dressing ex-husband. They were funny, but you felt bad, and didn't really want to laugh at her pain, even though she was laughing at her pain.

Good comeback, though. And really not THAT awkward.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here