Monday, February 21, 2011

Six Weeks to a New Me

I have not been happy with my body for awhile. December 2009, I was trim enough to fit into my wedding dress from 2001. Fast forward a year later, and there is no way I could fit back into that...let alone half my wardrobe from 2009. Sad.

Time to stop moping and do something about it.

I signed up for the gym at work.

My gym at work is unique. It has a monthly fee, but as long as you go for 30 minutes at least 2 times a week and a minimum of ten times a month, you get all gym fee refunded, making it free. And money is a huge motivation to go to the gym!

I have signed up for the gym before, but the problem is that I go to the gym as minimally as possible. I gotta get my 30 minutes in to get my money refunded, but when you factor 10 minutes changing into my workout clothes and 10 minutes changing back into work clothes (yes, I dawdle), so I will only spend 10 minutes on the treadmill. And I do it on purpose. Really. Because I HATE WORKING OUT. Especially cardio.

So I have a plan.

I bought this mp4 player that will play videos. So, I uploaded season 1 of Criminal Minds onto it and I've made this commitment. I will only watch Criminal Minds while I work out - no cheating! Hopefully this will get me excited to keep going back to the gym so I can watch another episode. And hopefully, watching an episode will keep me on the treadmill longer.

I did it today, and it seemed to work. I was on the treadmill jogging for 45 minutes straight. I think this plan will help me do more than just the minimum to get my money back.

And here's the other part of my plan. Six weeks. They say six weeks before you can see any difference. So I weighed myself today and I won't even look at a scale for six weeks. I hope this will help me avoid that instant gratification trap when I get all bummed when I don't lose 5 pounds the first week.

Okay. So that's my plan. I'll keep checking in with my motivation and progress.

6 comments:

kelley said...

Good luck! Give yourself small milestones and rewards. It helps in case the big goal at the end takes longer to reach. And it's not always a bad thing to weigh yourself once a week. It helps gauge what's going right or wrong.

Melissa Giles said...

Briant loves the gym. He goes quite a bit and has lost a lot of weigh... his pants don't fit anymore (but he won't go buy more). I joined last year... but ended up only doing the yoga class once a week. Good luck to you. I liked the classes, that's what kept me going :)

Beckie said...

good luck- I need instant gratification -- not just sore muscles- so maybe I need to try the 6 weeks thing!!

Meagan said...

Yay! So glad you are working out. I definitely am not allowed to step on the scale more than once a month or I get too bummed about the lack of weight-loss from day to day. I would wish you luck, but I know you can do it!

Liz Smith said...

i love working out. it makes all the difference in both my body and my mood. it's always hard to get started, but once you do and get into the habit, you'll be amazed you ever lived without it. and i agree with not looking at the scale. it's a double edged sword. the best indicator is how your clothes start to fit. i think you're going to do great! best of luck!

Frederick Family said...

You go girl!!! Hang in there, it will pay off.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here