Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Perfume Bottle Time Machine

One whiff and I was thirteen again...



The other day I was killing time at a drug store. At the perfume counter I saw a bottle of Exclamation - my first perfume. I picked up the bottle, slowly tracing the cool glass, then removed the lid and inhaled.

And there I was in my cheerleading uniform, waiting after practice for the guy I was "going out with" to appear so we could have ten minutes of chaste hand holding and swooning before my mom picked me up.


i'm on the far right

The soundtrack of my early teen years played in my memory like a mixed tape:

"Back for Good" by Take That
"Roll to Me" by Del Amitri
"Ironic" by Alanis Morissette
"Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something
"Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio

That first peck in the choir room that barely qualified as a kiss. Attending the first boy/girl party (well, the first one since I was probably seven). Chillin' with my friends in the journalism room.

They say scent is the biggest memory trigger. I have to agree. There's something about Exclamation that is pure teen angst in a bottle. Could an adult even get away with wearing it? It was perfect for a thirteen year old, though.

What was your first perfume?

8 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm still reeling after reading "Back for Good." Oh man. That takes me back. And, while I'm not sure I remember what Exclamation smells like, I would know that bottle anywhere. Classic stuff, Lara.

Ashley said...

It was in a pink bottle and smelled lke butt. I don't remember what it was called. But I can still sing the words go Gangstas Paradise. Music is a huge trigger too. Wow. Now I will have that in my head all day.

kelley said...

Oh my gosh. My very first perfume was Exclamation too! Every time I smell it, it makes me think of playing at my friend Katie Bryant's house b/c she had it first and I stole the idea from her. My next most nostalgic perfume was Sunflowers. Hellooo nineties!

Rachel said...

Ah, Exclamation. It seems that everyone was spraying down with that in the locker room after gym class.

Beckie said...

Exclamation - definitely - I loved it- I didn't have my own - had to steal my sisters-- !!

Alicia said...

CK One I think. I can barely remember.

Melissa Giles said...

J Lo - I can't remember which one... glow? It's the one they don't make anymore. I was an adult when I starting wearing "real" perfume. Before that it was just bath and body works, etc.

Vanessa said...

SO interesting you would post this because last weekend I was looking at a display that had Curve and Cool Waters on it. It totally took me back to our high school days!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here