Friday, March 11, 2011

Thoughts for Tokyo

Like most people, I heard the news about the massive earthquake in Tokyo this morning. What concerned me first was the tsunamis heading around the Pacific. My sister and her husband have been vacationing in Hawaii. They flew home late last night and witnessed some of the high tides. And they were in California today with hopes of getting out of San Francisco Bay before the water hit the west coast. Once I learned my family was okay, I read more about Tokyo. I read about the body count. I saw the images of broken land and broken cities. Buildings ablaze. People missing. Billions of dollars of destruction. A nuclear facility overheating. I scanned through the images. I had seen them all before, really. Nothing was new. India. Indonesia. New Orleans. Haiti. Chile. New Zealand. It's getting to be quite common.

As I was walking down the hall to a morning meeting, I was realizing how many times I have seen pictures of devastation and lifeless bodies buried in the rubble. I have seen so many images like that. So many that I am desensitized entirely. And I started crying. Right there in the hallway at work surrounded by hundreds of other employees. I stopped and sent up a tearful prayer to heaven on behalf of all of Japan and the entire world because we are all affected by this immense tragedy. And my heart breaks for every citizen of this planet.


"Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together."  - Eugene Ionesco

1 comment:

Hays Family said...

Yes we do get desensitized and need to remember all of those suffering in our prayers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here