My natural vain self tries to avoid unattractive things (except, apparently, dressing like a sitcom dad) so I do try to be a positive ray of sunshine all the time and avoid whining.
But we all have those days. Like yesterday’s Trapper Keeper experience.
I can’t say I am feeling totally different than yesterday, but I feel the need to rebalance my universe with a little self-love to make up for the self-loathing.
I think comparing ourselves to others is emotional poison. No good ever comes of it. Yet, I do it. We all do it. Looking to others for inspiration and motivation is okay…but there’s a very fine line when that turns into comparing and self-loathing.
So I don’t have awesome fashion sense. I don’t have an awesome wardrobe. I don’t have an awesomely branded blog.
I am still awesome.
There will always be things about me that I don’t like.
But there will always be things about me that I love. I have to remind myself of these things sometimes. Here are a few.
- I am quirky.
- I do a lot of stuff that keeps our lives running smoothly.
- I love to learn and I know a lot of stuff. I get teased about starting every other sentence with “I read this study the other day and…”
- I am honest and open.
- My hair is fairly good to me. I have bad hair days, but in general, if I put in the styling effort, it will do what I want it to do.
- I can pull off Halloween socks in March.
- I am good at communicating.
- I am good at putting on makeup and creating different, flattering looks.
- I love beauty—anything beautiful I love and appreciate.
- I am slow to anger and give people the benefit of the doubt.
- I forgive easily. I have even learned to forgive myself.
- I tell good stories. You wouldn’t know it from my lame Trapper Keeper blog, but I do tell good stories.
- I am comfortable with who I am. I can be alone with myself for hours and days and be content and happy.
- People who have known me for years are often surprised by something I say or do. I am unexpected. I even surprise myself. I love that. I love that I haven’t figured myself out yet. It sometimes drives me slightly batty, but really, it is probably the most exciting and enjoyable thing about me.
- I look good in any hair color. Here's proof - my new look.
It's hard to celebrate ourselves, but it is necessary. We need to be better about it. If you agree, take my challenge: do a similar post listing the things you like about yourself. Leave me a comment to let me know you have.