Monday, April 25, 2011

Doesn't the IRS Have Anything Better to Do?

"Automatic" and "audit."

Two words that shouldn't go together.

But the government thinks it's a pretty good idea. This year, basically all couples claiming an adoption credit are being blessed with an audit of their adoption expenses.

And I'm a little grumpy about it.

I mean, I claimed it last year and did just fine. This year is  rollover credit of what they obviously approved last year. You'd think it would be a no brainer. Oh, and also we have undergone an FBI background check and income verification in order to adopt. I would think the IRS would spend more time examining those who collect welfare/Medicaid without any income or tax contribution.

And we had to paper file this year as part of a new tax law requiring we mail in our adoption decree.

And we all know that mailing in taxes means you don't get your return as quickly.

Well, now our taxes are under review. I got this info from the "Where is my refund?" website. I am still waiting on the official letter from the IRS telling what receipts/expenses they want for their audit. Out of about 30 adoptive couples I've "talked to" on Facebook, only two have skated by without this dreaded notice.

What a drag. So annoying!

  

1 comment:

mom2jjk said...

I have a friend going through a similar thing with childcare credit. I guess the state of Oregon is auditing all families who claimed childcare credit. Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here