Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Tenth Anniversary Trip to Las Vegas

Our tenth wedding anniversary is this June. To celebrate a little early, we headed down south hoping for a little relaxation and a little sunshine. And we didn't get either. :)

We visited my parents first and they took care of Joci while we jaunted over to Sin City. All the hotels were so massive and impressive. All I could think about was how it must've been an architect's dream to design one of those monstrosities. We had a little bit of sunshine for a few hours, but for the rest of the weekend it was gray, windy, and cold. Not Idaho cold, but not a sunny break from winter either.

The Bellagio had an awesome springtime butterfly display including a butterfly house full of these flying beauties. You can see five in this picture feasting on orange halves.




This piece of art was recreated in flowers.



We had a lovely dinner at a restaurant called The Red Square featuring continental and Russian cuisine. We took a bit of a food risk and at the bartender's recommendation we ordered an appetizer callecd Siberian Nachos. They consisted of a wanton triangle, smoked salmon sashimi, wasabi, and wasabi tobiko (flying fish eggs). They were to die for!


Justin had the black truffle and lobster fettuccine.

I had braised lamb.

And yes, we are those dorks who photograph our meals.


Then we hustled over to The Venetian Hotel and saw Phantom of the Opera. Remember how I was so stressed about seating? We ended up sitting in row H and it was great (except for the teenager wearing the massive hair flower in front of me). The theatre was much smaller than I expected and any seat really would've been good, but for my preference, I loved where we sat and wouldn't have wanted to sit much further back.

I agree with other reviews that said the show felt rushed. Vegas cut out some scenes (I didn't really miss them) and sped up the tempo and dialogue (and it felt so, so hurried to me). But it was a fun experience and the theatre was beautiful. 

Of course we visited "The Grand Canal" of Venice. We originally hoped to go to Venice, Italy, for our anniversary. We decided to put that off until we had a little more money saved up, so this is as close as we got. :)


Joci had a great time at Grandma and Grandpa's home. They have such fun toys.



Having a tea party.

We had a blast with my parents the couple of nights we stayed with them. We are not the party animal type so Vegas was more off-putting and draining than fun and relaxing, but that's what you get for waking up in Vegas, right? ;) I'm such a geezer and prefer the quiet and quaint to the chaos and party scene. We felt like we needed to vacation in Rexburg for a week to get all the Vegas off us. Haha.

The highlight of our trip was meeting my brother's fiancee. We are so excited for them!

7 comments:

Maria said...

Wow! Can't believe it's been 10 years! And Joci is so dang cute! I sure miss you! I need to see you!!! :)

Just Us said...

Congratulations! It look like it was a lot of fun!

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journal said...

Ohhh, congratulations! Our 10th is in May. Those butterflies looked so amazing, I'm glad you had a fun trip!

Vanessa said...

Of course I'm a little jealous of the butterflies :) Glad you were able to get away.

UK Yankee said...

Congratulations, it sounds like you guys had fun!

(Those dinners look amazing!!)

Natalie said...

Oh how fun! I've always wanted to go to Vegas! Our 10 year anniversary is this June...we're still trying to figure out what to do for it. Isn't it amazing how fast time goes by! And Joci is getting so big! She is soooooo cute!!!

P.S. And I still just about die laughing at all of Rachel's boy pictures! I remember her playing baseball on the boys team and asking if she had to wear a cup! HAHAHA!

Liz Smith said...

haha! we personally love vegas. it's been forever since we've been there. we used to go all the time when we lived in utah because it was on the way to my parent's house in so. cal. i'm glad you guys got to get away and spend some time together though! and food pictures are fine i think when you are actually in them. so i don't think you're dorky at all. :) congrats on the 10th anniversary!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here