Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother Mine

Last night I called my mom to wish her a happy Mother's Day. As she was telling me about her day, she relayed this story.

She woke up early and spent a couple hours in the kitchen making banana bread. Then she took the bread to an 87 year-old widow neighbor to wish her a happy Mother's Day. The teary-eyed widow thanked my mother profusely and expressed how hard it is to be alone on mother's day. My mom invited her over for dinner.

On the phone my mother expressed her remorse that her two hours in the kitchen didn't go very far. There are many widows in their ward who she wasn't able to reach. I recited the story about the hundreds of thousands of starfish washed up on a beach, and a man saw a little boy throwing starfish back in the ocean one at a time. He told the boy he wouldn't be able to make a difference. But the little boy threw another starfish in the water and said, "It made a difference to that one."

I know Mother's Day is rough for a lot of people...women whose children are far away; those who don't have children yet; those who never had mothers; step-mothers who feel their role is less; birth mothers who are unfairly ignored; mothers who have lost children to miscarriage or death; those who are single and long to be married to have someone to become a mother with...

I know how painful Mother's Day can be and my heart and prayers go out to those hurting.

But it is worth celebrating. I know I am so, so, so lucky to have a wonderful mom. The example I cited above is one of many. She would be embarrassed to know I am posting it. And I am so, so, so lucky to be a mother. I *never* take it for granted. I never take her birth mother's sacrifice for granted. She is amazing. I am grateful for the lady who raised the man I love with all my heart. I am grateful for grandmothers. For teachers, for ladies in the ward, my sisters, and all the women who have touched my life with care taking and love - because that's what motherhood really is.

Everything I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother.
- Abraham Lincoln

1 comment:

Jennie Smith said...

Thank you for a wonderful post Lara! You brought tears to my eyes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here