Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rules of Happiness

A handful of rules I live by and recommend...in case you want to be me for a day.
  • If someone holds a door open for you, go through it...and thank them.
  • When traveling, eat local and avoid Applebee's.
  • Go overboard on birthdays.
  • Know when to splurge.
  • Save money, and be wise, but don't forget you can always make more money. You can't always make more memories.
  • Drive with the windows down in summer.
  • Skinny dip at every appropriate opportunity. 
  • Donate blood at least once a year. Who cares if it makes you feel woozy and you pass out. You just saved a life.
  • Know traditional Emily Post etiquette inside and out - even if you don't always use it.
  • Stand/walk like you're 5'7" and people will be shocked to find out you're 5'1".
  • Be your own best friend.
  • When you need customer service, always begin by saying kindly, "I have a problem. I wonder if you can help me?"
  • When fighting for your way, clearly state what you want. Whether it's a free meal because the restaurant screwed up or a $4k raise at work, you won't get what you want unless you clearly tell people what you want.
  • Don't raise your voice when trying to get what you want.
  • Sick days are most effectively used when you aren't sick.
  • Buy a shirt in a color you wouldn't expect yourself to wear - and wear it often.
  • Paint your toenails unexpected colors.
  • Read a Newberry Award book every year.
  • Brush your teeth with abandon.
  • Wear your best jewelry every day.
  • Don't pay full price for anything.
  • Wear out the phrase I love you.
  • Find new and different ways to say, "I love you." Consider I adore you, You are my everything, You are my favorite human.
  • Wear holiday socks year round.
  • Hug children often.
  • If you don't want to...don't.
  • Express gratitude always.
  • Embrace your mother's music.
  • Color your hair.
  • Sing Christmas carols loudly.
  • Don't get worked up about something you can't change.
  • Cultivate passion. Cultivate obsessions (well, safe ones). Be quirky.
  • Wear red lipstick at least a couple times a year.
  • Always wear heels of some kind. Your butt will thank you.
  • Never call yourself fat in front of others.
  • Wander through graveyards.
  • Cast aside meaningless traditions.
  • Celebrate personal holidays more than "regular" holidays. Create rituals.
  • Know how to shoot a gun.
  • Fall in love a lot.
  • Know when to do the dishes and went to let them wait.
  • Write poetry.
  • Let your heart break and learn to love it.

5 comments:

Beckie said...

Perfect!! I will definitely adopt some of those- others- I already do!!

Sierra Williams said...

I love this. I don't think I have seen you for 15 years or so, but I think we would get along quite well!

What is abandon?

Sierra Williams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sierra Williams said...

I linked this post in my blog :)

Amy said...

The one thing on that list that might make me unhappy is coloring my hair...I love being a red head. That was a fun post to read.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here