Sunday, June 5, 2011

How Justin and I Met - Take One

This Wednesday is Justin and my tenth anniversary. It seems impossible that it's been that long, but at the same time, it seems like we've always been together...for multiple eternities.



This week, I figured I'd post a little bit about how our paths crossed ten years ago.

Or rather, eleven years ago.

Justin and I met for the first time in April of 2000. But neither of us remember it.

In the winter of 1999, I competed in state drama. One of my judges was a drama student from Western Wyoming Community College. She was impressed with my performance and had me talk to her program director. He gave me some information about the college. Sure, this was a community college, but it is slightly more impressive than the average community college stereotype. I think probably because it was a Wyoming school, and Wyoming only has one state university, the community colleges really magnify their responsibility to provide education.

Anyway, the drama director invited me to come audition at the school for a scholarship. He also mentioned I could look into academic scholarships. Long story short, in April I went to Rock Springs, Wyoming, to interview for a full-ride academic scholarship and audition for a talent scholarship. I stayed with a girl named Kelsey. I went to high school with her. She was a couple years older than me and was in the theatre department at WWCC. Kelsey showed me around and introduced me to everyone in the department. We visited a few apartments, went out to dinner, and I even got a free seat to see the school's performance of Pirates of Penzance.

I got the scholarships and I ended up going to school there. I met Justin for the second time in the first week of school. As we got to know each other, we realized that we had met the previous spring when I was there auditioning and staying with Kelsey. I saw him perform in Pirates. I was in his apartment. A tent was pitched in his living room and he had a box full of baby chicks on his kitchen table. That's pretty specific. Not just anyone's apartment. Our paths definitely crossed - but neither of us could remember seeing each other at all!

I guess destiny definitely had its hand in our meeting. If we weren't going to take advantage of our paths crossing the first time, it was going to force us to the second time.

1 comment:

Beckie said...

I love to think about the specific pieces that have to fall into life- to make the story come out straight!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here