Tuesday, June 7, 2011

How Justin and I Met - Take Two

The first time fate threw Justin and me together, we didn't even notice each other. So we needed another shot.

In the fall of 2000, I started my freshmen year of college in Rock Springs, Wyoming. Justin was in his third year. He had just been appointed as the technical director of the theatre - the departmental director's first hand. The week before classes started, the theatre department hosted a few get-togethers so all the students could get to know each other.

The first activity we had was an eating contest at a favorite restaurant called Cruel Jacks. Cruel Jacks served these massive ice cream sundaes. Not completely unlike the one Napoleon eats in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. We partnered up and dug in. I did not win. But I vaguely remember the guy with a stop watch dressed like a referee.



The next get-together was playing croquet and hanging out around a bonfire at the department director's house. I remember I was wearing a kelly green polo shirt and I had curled my hair in spirals. I was having fun with my teammates and fudged the rules a bit...yeah, I was a cheater. And that cute ref guy caught me. But I batted my eyes just so, and he let me get away with it.

Later, around the campfire, I spotted an open seat next to the cute ref guy. I sauntered over to him and sat down. Before I could strike up a conversation, he got up and left, leaving me all alone. Feeling totally dissed, I zeroed in on the next cutest guy and got my flirt on.

For lunch, the department would always sit together at the same table in the school cafeteria. A couple of weeks after the bonfire, I got to know that ref guy better during one such lunch. His name was Justin. He was being flirty and forward, acting interested in me. I flirted back. At one point, Justin even danced with me for a minute, spinning me around and dipping me in the middle of the cafeteria. His charisma definitely had me hooked. That lunch, he asked me if I wanted to hang out with him that night. I did!!!!

So that evening, I went to Justin's dorm and met his roommate Miles. We just talked and got to know each other. The chemistry was instant and we talked all night. We shared our first kiss. For probably the next five nights, we repeated that pattern. I just remember feeling like I was walking on air. I had barely slept in a week, yet I didn't feel tired at all. In fact, I was more energized than I had ever been in my life. That's what falling in love does to you though.

Being in the same department, we had the same schedule. From dance classes to meal times to play rehearsals, we were together more than we were apart. And of course we spent every moment of our free time together, too.

Really, it was love at first sight.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here