Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Book Report on Jane Austen

I finally finished my first Jane Austen book. I figured it was something I ought to cross off my bucket list. :)

At first, I didn't really like the book (btw, I read Pride and Prejudice). You can read about my first impressions here.

It seriously took me halfway through the book until I wasn't forcing myself to read and I realized I actually kind of wanted to know what happened next. With most books, if I am not engaged by the end of the first chapter - or the second at the very latest - then it's hasta la bye bye. Not gonna waste my time. So yeah, a little weird that I didn't find it interesting until it was half over - about the time that Elizabeth and Wickham kinda had a thing going on and nasty stuff came out about Darcy.

So I must conclude that....

I enjoyed the book.

While I still am annoyed with a lot of Miss Austen's idiosyncrasies, if step back from the prose, I find that I do like the plot of the story very much.

And I refused to picture Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy because I don't think Colin Firth is handsome at all.

I pictured Mr. Darcy more like this: steamy, arrogant, and unabashedly handsome Ryan Reynolds

So, I read it. And I enjoyed it. And I want to name my house something like Pemberly. And I think I should watch a movie version of Pride & Prejudice. But which version? 

9 comments:

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journal said...

The A&E 1995 version is much better, but I like the 2005 Kiera Knightley version as well. And I love your Ryan Reynolds observation!

PS: Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen book. Try watching the 2007 version with Rupert Penry-Jones. Sweet merciful crap. I heart Capt. Wentworth.

Ashley said...

We go back and forth about what to name our house. I think we agreed on Canton.

Candise said...

A&E is most definitely my favorite. Come over one night. We'll make dinner and call it a party! It is one of my favorite movies. Plan an evening - it is difficult for me to stop watching once I start. I do have the DVD's if you are ever interested in borrowing them...

Amy said...

I love the Keira Knightley version. I love the music and the cinematography, and they did a great job of condensing the story. The other one is fun if you have 5 hours to devote to a movie and if you want it to follow the book exactly. I actually find it a little boring, and I don't usually have that much time to sit and watch a movie anyway. And I don't think that Colin Firth is the perfect Mr. Darcy.

UK Yankee said...

So glad you liked it!

My favorite Jane Austen is 'Persuasion' - love the main characters! (And my favorite movie adaptation is the 1995 one with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds - shot with natural lighting, almost no makeup, no Hollywood trappings!)

Enjoy your P&P fest! Watch them all and pick a favorite!

Haylee said...

Watch the BBC version (I'm pretty sure it's the A&E version some of your friends have mentioned). It is well done and well worth your time. I wasn't a fan of the newer, shorter movie much.

Meagan said...

The Keira Knightley version I love. I own it. I do wish though that that version had more involvement from the aunt and uncle.

Alicia said...

Both. Just watch them both.

Jennie Smith said...

Both the A&E version and the Keira Knightley version are good. I'd do what Alicia said, watch them both!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here