Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Partnership of Motherhood

Today, I was walking down the hallway in-between doing laundry and making dinner and constant clean up and I felt a small hand slip into mine.

"Hold your hand?" a small voice asked.

At times I can't believe that I have a precious little girl. She is my world. And it's moments like these that I know I am hers. She wanted nothing more than to slip her hand into mine and follow along with all the boring chores I was doing.

My heart just swelled. I thanked God in that instant for the gift of motherhood. Tonight in my prayers I will thank Him a little more formally.

And I thank Joci's birth parents. Without them, my world would be totally different.

Being a mother is a hard thing. I read a Facebook post today that listed the definition of motherhood as doing the job of twenty people for free. So true! It's hard work any way you look at it. I could never do it alone - and motherhood wasn't designed to be done alone.



Every mother is in a partnership. And I'm not talking about marriage. I'm talking about a sacred partnership with God. He allows his most precious spirits to come into our lives. So many times in the past 2 1/2 years I've questioned God's sanity for sending Joci to us. What have I ever done to deserve blessings so immense? Not only does He facilitate our motherhood, He helps us. Mother's intuition? It's just a little help from above. Being able to do the endless, thankless tasks - and actually enjoying them? Divine mercy, absolutely.

I'm lucky enough to have a more recognizable motherhood partnership with Jocelyn's birth mom. When I first heard about open adoptions, the concept seemed so foreign. But now that I truly embrace God's role in my becoming a mother, it seems so foreign to exclude the birth mom. We don't co-parent. But the recognition and respect I have for Joci's birth mom. I would not be a mother without her. Period. It's humbling. And I love her more and more every day for her gift to me.

Sometimes being a Mommy can feel isolating. But really, we are never alone in it.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

BEAUTIFUL, Lara. Just beautiful. :) It has been so amazing to get to see your family blossom! Joci couldn't have been blessed with better parents! The Lord works not only in mysterious, but in MIRACULOUS ways! I love seeing Him work in your life!

Anonymous said...

Isn't life just wonderful and being a mother as well?? By the way, that color of your hair in that picture with newborn Joci was my favorite color on you. Thanks for helping me be a grandma to a beautiful little girl and OH soooo precious. Love Grandma Z.

Rachel said...

I love your relationship with motherhood. And I love the love that has come into your life because of Joci's birth mom. Also, yes, we most definitely must hang out. Saturday?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here