Wednesday, November 23, 2011

So Much to Be Grateful For

Thanksgiving is tomorrow. I've enjoyed reading so many people's daily gratitude proclamations on Facebook and on their blogs. Last year I did a daily thing. This year, I thought I would just do a mega-gratitude post.

A couple of weeks ago in church we had a lesson on gratitude. Gratitude is such an important and basic virtue - it's the reason why one of the first things our mamas taught us was to say "thank you." One thing that struck me as new during the lesson was not only is it nice to be grateful and acknowledge the abundant gifts of God, but it also is a protective shield for us. So many "evils" in life come from selfishness, vanity, attitudes of entitlement, coveting for more, greed, etc. Being grateful, truly, sincerely grateful for what we have protects us from those things.

I could go on and on and on about the things I am grateful for. Here are just a few:

  • My family (all of it...mom, dad, siblings, in-laws, husband, daughter, birth parents, cousins, etc., etc.)
  • My (usually) sweet pets
  • The internet/technology...I love me some Spotify, blogs, Facebook, Zuma, 
  • Diet Coke
  • Modern medicine
  • My health...I am naturally a very healthy person. Being married to someone who has to fight for his health, I know I take this for granted a lot. 
  • Contact lenses
  • Ball point pens
  • Safe car
  • Warm, cozy, home that really is spacious for my needs
  • Working for a secure company that has no debt (no risk of layoffs or bankruptcy) and has continued to grow during the recession
  • My husband's job
  • My education
  • Chocolate
  • Texting
  • Food
  • All my needs and most of my wants are met...exceeded, really
  • Adoption
  • Potential
  • Friends and coworkers
  • Great bosses
  • Being able to work at job that does more than supply a paycheck - it inspires me and fills my soul
  • Electric blankets
  • Travelling and seeing the beautiful, amazing, diverse world we are citizens of
  • The ability to read 
  • Good books
  • My talents
  • I am thankful that I like who I am
  • My relationship with my Heavenly Father and my savior Jesus Christ

Honestly...I could go on and on and on. I am looking around my kitchen right now and everything I see inspires a feeling of gratitude. 

And as silly as it sounds, I really am grateful for blogging. I thoroughly enjoy it. It is a fun, creative release and it can be very therapeutic. I've been able to keep in touch with dear friends who live far away and I have made some cherished new friends--some of which I haven't even met in real life but I love just the same. 

Happy Thanksgiving, all! 



3 comments:

Jamie Boyd said...

I classify myself as part of the "friends and coworkers", and I like that we come AFTER ball point pens and chocolate.

Ahora said...

And I'm thankful for being able to read your blog:) Happy Thanksgiving!

UK Yankee said...

I'm thankful for you! Have a wonderful day today with your family!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here