Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Are Your High Heels Too High?

I love the look of high heels and I wear some kind of heel on a daily basis (hey - I'm only 5'1"!). Sky-high, towering heels still intimidate me though and I feel like Bambi walking in them all the time. I always thought it was because I wasn't coordinated enough or used to them. Not true. It's because they are out of proportion to my feet.

I have recently discovered a critical bit of fashion wisdom that I think is worth sharing. The length of your feet determines how high your heel should be for comfort and safety.

When wearing a heel, you need to be able to raise up on the balls of your feet and be able to lift the heel one inch off the ground. If you can't do this, then your heel is too high. No amount of dexterity will allow you to walk gracefully in the shoes.

So since my feet are a petite size 6.5, a three inch (maybe a four inch) heel is about as high as I can go.

These black satin Fioni heels have a three-inch heel. I could go up to a four-inch, but that's about my limit. 

If you really, really long for the extra height, there are a couple of ways to do a higher heel: 1) a platform heel will add height and stability and 2) a boot adds stability since it encases the top of your foot and ankle.



4 comments:

Topsy said...

That is so good to know! I had no idea...

I'm a shorty too! Just under 5'2".

Vanessa said...

Hmmm...for half a second as I started reading I thought I was going to find a reason for why I am anything BUT graceful in my heels even though they aren't very high at all. Instead, I've found I should be able to wear MUCH bigger heels...I'm a size 10 and can barely handle my 2 in. heels! What's my excuse? Just clumsiness I guess.

Que and Brittany are Hoping to Adopt! said...

When I wear heels I pretty much turn into a lurpy version of those inflatable figures you see in used car lots. The ones with the flapping arms.

A lurpy version of those.

Liz Smith said...

I can kind of see what you're saying, but let's be serious, when I shop for high heels(one of my HUGE obsessions) I rarely consider proportions, practicality, and comfort. I buy what i fall in love with. ;) I love my high heels even though I'm 5'7'' and often wear 5in heels that put me at eye level or taller than the spouse...depending how much he is slouching or how straight I am standing. :p

Don't let the heels intimidate you. There is a lot of truth to the platform tip. I love a great hidden platform heel. If you ever go for some sky high heels, I think you'll rock them. ;)

P.S. I can't believe I seriously rambled on about high heels for that long. And at almost 2am no less. Moral of the story, don't get me started on shoes when I am having a hard time falling asleep. Now I just want to online shop. :p

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here