Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pinterest, This Would Never Work for Me

There are a lot of great ideas on Pinterest. There are some really lousy ones too.

Some things look great in pictures, but would never work in practice in my life. (All examples were found on Pinterest.com)

Like this...
Too much work in my opinion. My solution - grab a shirt from one drawer, grab pants from another drawer and voila! You have an outfit. And you didn't even have to specially fold, place, and label said outfit.

****************

You can't go anywhere on Pinterest without seeing something slathered in chalkboard paint. (Sometimes homemade chalkboard paint!) Looks cute...but that pure black with crisp white writing won't last. Every chalkboard ends up looking milky and dirty. And I would NOT want my kitchen table to look like that.




****************


Freezer organization...
Tupperware. With snap on lids. Think about it. Looks pretty...but how long will it last? And really, isn't it just easier to grab that boxed up Totino's pizza than have to sort through which Tupperware contains it, pull it out, take off the lid, remove the pizza, snap the lid into place, and replace the Tupperware? I've learned the function and organization don't always coincide. 

****************

The idea of bare kitchen cupboard seems simplistically beautiful, doesn't it?


But then again, didn't someone invent cupboard doors for a reason? Say, to keep dust and dirt off the dishes and reduce the need for constant cleaning? If I ever did this, I am sure my array of multicolored sippy cups and mismatched dishes would look simply stunning. And the blue storage totes on top of the cupboard?  Just like the Tupperware in the freezer, the system doesn't seem functional at all. 


****************

Cute food...

Just eat your boring, normal white rice and hot dogs, kid. 


****************


A clear canister to hold toilet paper. It allows you to see at a glance when you need to buy more.


Just put your toilet paper under the sink like the rest of us. Every time you change a roll you'll get an update of how much inventory you have. Then you can write "toilet paper" on your shopping list like the rest of us. How long until that beautiful clear canister gets scratched, fogged up, covered in toothpaste/bubble bath splatters, and full of dust and grime?


****************


Shower curtains cut and sewed into lunch sacks.

You can buy a big package of brown paper bags for the same amount it would cost you to buy a shower curtain and thread and the time to sew these reusable vinyl sacks. Oh, and those brown paper sacks? They're reusable too. All you have to do is NOT throw them away and reuse them. Trees are a renewable resource anyway. Shower curtains are not. People have too much time on their hands.



P.S. I've been sick and sleep deprived for five days. I suspect this post may be snarky and negative. I blame it on my sinuses.

16 comments:

Meagan said...

I love this post Lara. I for was was completely grossed out by the pig-shaped pink rice and cut up hot dogs. That was disturbing. *shutter*

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the giggle. I sooooo needed this today.

Topsy said...

amen.

Amy said...

I agree with all of those! The one that I see a lot of, that would never work for me, is cleaning schedules. I've tried that before and I just start to resent having to clean a specific thing on a specific day.

Stephanie May Anderson said...

You nailed it. I roll my eyes all the time when I am on pinterest! Lunch bags out of shower curtains? Seriously??? Just go spend $3.99 at Ross Dress For Less like I did for one that has ZIPPERS and POCKETS. Or better yet, the big bag of brown paper ones hahaha!

Ashley said...

Okay. I admit. I'm going to do the chalk paint on my kitchen table. It's covered in crap anyways, may as well let it distract my kids for a while right?

Frahs Family said...

I feel the same way and who has time to do all this stuff anyway? I rather spend some time with my kids.

Beckie said...

you crack me up!!!

Rachel said...

I gave up on pinterest a while ago because it made me feel overwhelmed and deficient...."I haven't even once made my kids a croissant sandwich that looks like a crab!" "My kitchen will never, ever, ever look that pristine!" etc etc. So I appreciate your real-world perspective on some of these wild ideas.

Melissa said...

Nice post. Love it.

Whitney said...

Hahaha! Yes! Agreed! The food one is especially funny. The lengths people go to make their kids food look fun. Ay yi yi I just don't see myself cutting my kids sandwich into the shape of a dolphin or sculpting their mashed potatoes to look like Justin Bieber's head. Just eat the dang food for pete's sake.

Frederick Family said...

Man you are on one. Sorry you didn't feel well last week. I would absolutely looooovvvveee for my cupboards, fridge, pantry, freezer etc to look that organized. I can see it in my head how beautiful and organized my cupboards could be.
I think I tried a small cupboard once, having containers for everything etc. Alas, reality set in and suddenly the containers aren't the right size for some of the things that need to be contained then all my efforts were in vain. More power to those people who organize like that. I'm going to accept a little clutter.

MindySue said...

This post would go very well on Matt's Blog of Negativity. Maybe you two should collaborate... ;)

Matthew said...

I like how negative it is. Nice.

Frederick Family said...

I wouldn't have time to do that. If you had a kitchen table as the homework station it would get gross and dirty it would be easier just for them to have a chalkboard in their room.

mrs. r said...

What about getting chalk dust in your food? All over your floor? No thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here