Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Baby Names from the Vault

Less than eight weeks to go until the due date! (I don't want to say "my" due date because that sounds weird and I don't want to simply say "her" due date because it's a little bit mine, I feel. So "the" due date will have to suffice.)

We're still working on names. It won't be settled until the ink is on the paper. I decided to go to the good ol' family tree for inspiration. Justin and I do a bit of genealogy occasionally. And lucky for us, we both have family members somewhere who have done a lot because both of us have lines that go back into the BC years.

I hopped onto new.familysearch.org and took a peek at both our family trees and wrote down all the names I like.

There were the expected names:
Sarah
Emily
Elizabeth
Helen
Rachel
May
Catherine (available in many various spellings!)
Marie

Some names that seem a lot more modern than they are (I was often surprised how old these names were - Hillary was from the 1500's):
Isla
Madeleine
Annekka
Nicole
Christina
Katrina
Alicia
Clarissa
Diana
Hillary
Jacqueline
Isabel/Isabella
Annabelle
Matilda
Abigail
Amanda
Lucy

And a few gems that I really, really like:
Veronica
Vera
Charlotte
Eve
Lilly
Clara
Lydia
Stella
Nora
Julia
Cora
Mariah
Lorraine

And a few names that were so...unique...I just had to share them, even though I would never consider them in a thousand years. (I apologize to all my kindred dead for poking fun at your names. It's a cultural thing. Nothing personal.):
Hextilda
Myorg
Kunigunda
Mehitable
Ethalreda
Winithar


Can you tell I am having fun with this?




P.S. Anyone can sign up for an account with new.familysearch.org. It's free. And it's really fun to find out who your ancestors are. Go for it!

8 comments:

BumbersBumblings said...

Oh I love the name Cora!!

Brandy Hays said...

Lilly is most awesome lol

Que and Brittany are Hoping to Adopt! said...

"Lydia" has been my #1-girl-name-of-choice since I was in high school. :)

I love looking at our family history for names as well and I also love perusing cemeteries for names!

Anonymous said...

I like the name of Lilly because it is so simple yet very eloquent. I think that it is totally a match with Joci (Jocelyn). You are just putting the flower first with this baby. Just my thoughts. Love it. Grandma Z

Liz Smith said...

i loooove all the names in your gem list. so fun! i can't wait to find out what you guys decide on. and i cant wait to see pictures of your new baby! so exciting!

Mariel said...

Lara, I can't find your email address on you blog, sorry! But, Lindsey, from the R House, suggested I contact you. I'm getting ready to introduce my new adoption page on "Or so she says...", and...well, just email me. It will be easier to explain there. (ladies@onesehtwoshe.com)

Thanks!

Mariel
www.oneshetwoshe.com

Frederick Family said...

Nora is a cute and unique name. It reminds of Pete's Dragon when Nora sings Candle on the Water.

Mama B said...

Love Eve and Lilly! With all the talk of baby names lately on your blog (which I have loved your posts on the subject) I just have to tell you what my cousin just named her baby. Their last name is Moar and they named her Isla View. Isla is pronounced "eye-la". So if you say her name really fast...Isla View Moar. Just thought you would get a kick out of that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here