Friday, April 6, 2012

Barbecued Birds for Spring

Spring has sprung. I think. It's only snowed twice this week anyway. So far.

Yesterday morning I heard little scratching noises outside my kitchen window. After I pulled my cat away from the window, I saw a type of black bird dancing around on my stainless steel grill, which is about two feet away from said window. After fighting my cat for a good vantage point, I realized that the bird was flying away, coming back with a stick, disappearing into the back of the grill, then reappearing without the stick.

The bird was building a next in my grill.

It was so neat to watch.

I am certain Mr. Bird's conversation with Mrs. Bird that morning went something like this, "Hey, honey! I found the *perfect* spot for this year's nest!"

"Really?" Mrs. Bird asked. "Good, because that cottonwood tree we roosted in last year aggravated my allergies all summer long. Have you ever sneezed while laying eggs? It's miserable."

"You're going to love this place. It's this upscale condo I found. Sleek, modern styling. Fully enclosed to protect our hatchlings from wind and predators. You're going to love it."


someone has been here!


slipping through the gap between the lid and the body of the grill


So comfy cozy!


still needs some work

I honestly bet those birds were psyched to find such a cool nesting place. Half of me is psyched too. The other half is bummed that I should probably move their nest and undo all their hard work. We'll want to use our grill at some point this summer, right? Justin says we should just get a new one. Maybe that will solve it. I've also read that a lot of birds are done nesting and kicking their chicks out within a month or so. Maybe I should just wait it out? What to do, what to do.

5 comments:

Shawn and Teresa Nilsson said...

How cute! I would leave the nest and buy a temp grill for this summer, but that's just me. I'm a sucker for nature. I hope your cat is an indoor cat...

Ahora said...

I think it's a good luck sign for your upcoming adoption:) Leave it!:)

Beckie said...

OOh starlings- irritate me- they nest in my grill every year-- gRRR!!-- if you leave the lid open- they will go away!!!

Then you won't have to roast them to cook your dinner!!

Emily said...

Ok...this has nothing to do with your post but I figured you would read this so here you go. I read a blog called Segullah (segullah.org). Its a website where Mormon women write about life,and I remembered your post a while back about your grandfather (I think)who gave patriarchal blessing and I thought it would be a great story to share. So anyway, the link is here. Check out the website, if you haven't already.

Oh and I hope you don't think I am blog stalking or anything. I'm not weird I promise!!

Frederick Family said...

Well you have something funny happen every week to your two year old to anything else.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here