Monday, June 18, 2012

Going Indie


The sway of playful palm trees and never-ending sunshine seem like a fantasy compared to the smog and filth of 18th century London. Thrilled for a new life in the exotic West Indies, privileged seventeen-year-old Tessa Monroe couldn’t be more excited for her father’s reassignment to the fledgling Caribbean colony of St. Kitts where she can stake her claim as an up-and-coming socialite. But that dream unravels when a hurricane downs their ship on the passage from England, leaving Tessa as the sole survivor. Rescued by a passing ship, Tessa’s grief soon turns to terror as she realizes she isn’t a passenger—she’s a captive. With a future of slavery in the offing, Tessa joins forces with Nicholas Holladay, a charismatic sailor ready to break free from a life of piracy. Mutiny is in the air. Tessa and Nicholas will either win their freedom or earn a spot at the gallows.


So...that is the back-cover description of my novel. I've consulted with several literary agents and publishers. Many have found my work promising but agree that traditional publishing is so sketchy right now - with the recession, publishers are reluctant to take a risk on new authors and indie publishing through e-reader platforms is completely changing the game, giving authors greater exposure and much larger royalties. So I've decided to publish my book independently. As of right now, I have a proofreader/editor going through the manuscript and my cover art is in design. So before the end of summer, I will be available for download.

Feel free to judge me. I won't pretend it's an amazing work of fiction. I had fun writing it and it's something I think I would have fun reading.

Maybe it's something other people will have fun reading too. I'll keep you posted.

15 comments:

Meagan said...

I'm so excited! I read one of your drafts about 5 years ago of this book and I loved it! I'm smiling just remembering reading it. I will be excited to see/read your final version!

Mom on the Go said...

It sounds great! I can't wait to read it!

UK Yankee said...

Way to go Lara! I'm excited to read it!

Jennifer Steinmetz said...

Wow, I can't wait! Way to go!

Shawn and Teresa Nilsson said...

Cool! Can't wait to read it!

Rachel said...

You rule the school. It sounds fabulous.

Jennie said...

I am in no way what you would call a reader but that description has got me hooked. I'll read that book! And I doubt that it will be be crappy if it is coming from you.

Alicia said...

Sounds fun. I'll read it when it is ready!

Jennie Smith said...

I would totally read that! Way to go Lara!

Mel said...

You go girl! What a great accomplishment. I can't wait to read it.

Kim said...

Awesome! Can't wait to read!

MindySue said...

Well, let me know when it's out and available for download, etc. You can have space on my blog ... we'll do a book spotlight, maybe an author interview, and a giveaway if you'd like.

Amy said...

Awesome!...My kind of read...Can't wait for the download!!

Ashley said...

Yay! This is awesome. Keep us posted on how everything goes.

Keith J. Akre said...

I certainly plan on reading this book. Congratulations on realizing your dream. What a fantastic thing to have accomplished.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here