Monday, July 9, 2012

My Hiney May Be Getting Tighter

I have been in denial about my changing body for a long time. But the truth is, I am 30, and there is no more denying the truth. The number on the scale has crept up little by little over the years. Initially, I hated these changes, but I slowly got used to them. Hey, I had the body of a woman. It's not natural to look like I did at 17. I have curves and volume and a lot more confidence. I dress modestly and really didn't see a reason to fight to have a Hollywood bikini body. And really, my weight is still healthy. Why kill myself?

Still, I didn't accept it without a fight. I try to eat healthier. I've signed up for the gym a couple times. I trained for a 5k and ran it. But I couldn't keep up with any exercise routine long-term. I didn't even get the point where I could see results. Other than being able to run (ahem...slowly jog) five kilometers without walking - that was an improvement.

So I just learned to accept things. I tried to focus on being healthy; not just skinny. When I got on Pinterest, I vowed I would never pin all the fitness tips or fitness "inspiration" photos that honestly serve to depress and torture most women. I was content with my shape.

Until...things got saggy. And new textures appeared that I didn't like.

I wanted to try to tighten things up. Not to drop a size or to show off. Just to be healthier and take control of my aging process.

I've tried a few things. Nothing stuck. It was time to try something new and make. it. stick.

So I found a brief and easy exercise routine on Pinterest. Something that looked like I could commit to. Fro the record, I hate to sweat and I hate exertion. I hate cardio. I would rather lift weights all day. So I had to find something I could and would do. I found this "routine" and I started doing it last week. 

30 Jumping Jacks
5 Pushups 
25 High Knees
7 Burpees
10 Crunches 
7 Squats
5 Pushups
10 Crunches 
5 Pushups
7 Squats
30 Jumping Jacks
1 Minute Wall Sit
5 Pushups
25 High Knees

I looked at the calendar and realize that I had started it on July 1. Perfect! I made a commitment to myself to do this routine at least twice a day for the entire month of July. I didn't know whether or not I would see results, but my goal was more about perseverance than results. The results will come, but only with dedication. I needed to develop the dedication. So after talking to my husband, we decided that I can "reward" myself with an unnecessary purchase if I do my exercises twice a day for a month.

And if I do, I get to buy a new set of pots and pans to replace the set I got for my wedding and have hated for eleven years. They do not need to be replaced. They are fully functional. But, man, I hate them. My eye is on this lovely Paula Deen set.



So, today is July 9. I have been doing the routine for 9 days. I hadn't even looked into the mirror until today. And guess what? Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but I do think my stomach is a little less muffin-toppy and my rump seems to be a little less saggy. Woohoo!!!

I have miles to go, but I am happy that I have persevered for 9 days (big accomplishment for me!). And I am looking forward to my new pots and pans.

Do you exercise? What motivates you? Do you feel you have a  healthy body image?

7 comments:

Mom on the Go said...

I love to exercise! I could easily become a gym rat if I let it take over my life. I had to find something I loved to do and for me that is zumba. I also need a great instructor that I can relate to and a fun class environment. I go to class with almost the same ladies twice a week, so I get to know them and notice and miss them when they aren't there. I also do body pump at least once a week. Doing a class is key for me and very motivating.

Becca said...

Jenny Cook and I have been using DailyMile.com and 'competing' with each other and taking the kids on long rides and trying (keyword) trying to run and its been a great motivation for me to keep going.

Alicia said...

I have exercised consistently for a long time but I rarely see "results" because I struggle with controlling my diet more than with exercise. We all have our body battles I guess. The thing that motivates me the most is the way exercise helps me feel better emotionally and physically. That is why I go back again and again. It just makes me feel happy!

Liz Smith said...

I LOVE to exercise. I feel more confident and am a lot happier when I know i'm being healthy. I like feeling good in my clothes. It may be shallow, but that's my biggest motivator. But everyone is different, and as long as it promotes a healthy lifestyle, it's great. i love cardio, but am definitely lacking in my strength training. I think i'll adopt the lara challenge and do your workout twice a day in addition to my gym workouts. I could use a tighter bootay. lol.

Mel said...

Good for you! I go through phases with what I do and how much. My motivation is to set a good example of having a healthy lifestyle. There are a lot of other perks too, but mostly I don't want to take my health for granted and hope it comes easier for my kiddos than it is for me.

Amy Allred said...

I have never been very good at exercising, either. It's just not how I want to spend my time. When I actually do it, though, I feel tons better - so I obviously know that it's a good thing to do. I've noticed my metabolism slowing down in the last year or so, and it's so depressing. We definitely can't get away with eating junk food and not exercising anymore, huh? Giving yourself a reward is such a good idea. That would help to motivate me to keep up with it. You're going to love your new pots and pans! :)

Hays Family said...

Way to go Lara!! and I love the looks of those pans. They look super neat and not the heavy handles like on the ones you have been using. Can't wait to see you new bootay and cook with your new pans.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here