Thursday, August 23, 2012

Best Break-Up Songs

Remember that all-consuming pain of a broken heart? Remember locking yourself in your room and drowning in a perfectly tragic song?

It's a type of therapy only music can accomplish.


For the record, I don't need any break up songs. Thanks to my darling husband, I haven't needed a breakup song in twelve years and hopefully never will again.

But someone I know was having a hard time yesterday and blasting breakup songs. I got to thinking about my go-to breakup songs back in the day. They are a little dated. :)

Hard Habit to Break by Chicago
Somewhere in My Broken Heart by Billy Dean
Shut Up and Drive by Chely Wright
Hey Jupiter by Tori Amos
Turn It On, Turn It Up, Turn Me Loose by Dwight Yoakam
Ain't That Lonely Yet by Dwight Yoakam
In the Arms of Sleep by Smashing Pumpkins
Making Love Out of Nothing At All by Air Supply
Crazy by Patsy Cline
Pictures of You by The Cure
Don't Speak by No Doubt
Blue Spanish Sky by Chris Isaak
Can't Let Go by Landon Pigg
Pretty much anything by Damien Rice
With or Without You by U2
Love on the Rocks by Neil Diamond
China by Tori Amos
One More Try by Timmy T
Unbreak My Heart Toni Braxton
Missing You by John Waite
Careless Whisper by George Michael
My Immortal by Evanescence
Case of You by Joni Mitchell
Always by Bon Jovi


I remember making mixed tapes (and eventually Napster CDs) with these songs (if only Adele had been writing songs back then, I am sure I would have a ton of those!). They were the perfect soundtrack for the utterly paralyzing, exquisite pain of young heartbreak.

Did any of these make your breakup song list? What was your go-to breakup songs?



P.S. I have some additions.

You Oughtta Know by Alanis Morrisette
Insensitive by Jann Arden
Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx
Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover Sophie B. Hawkins

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I would not have made it through my biggest breakup without Alanis Morisette's "You Outta Know."

Also, some night while you are screwing over Morning Lara, you should listen to this:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/339/break-up

I promise you'll love it.

Jennifer Steinmetz said...

Bread's "Everything I Own"...Picture me, 17 years old and heart broken, belting it out in my car with anguish of soul, "And I would give everything I own...give up my life, my heart, my home! I would give everything I own, just to have you back again." I definitely nominate this song for best break-up lyrics...http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bread/everything+i+own_20023992.html

Ashley said...

This is a great list of tunes! Although I notice a lack of Richard Marx. :D

Also, when I saw "One More Try" by Timmy T (what kind of name is that?!), I was instantly transported back to junior high, and I had to watch the music video right then and there. Thank you for that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here