Monday, August 27, 2012

Help Me with My Book - Name the Ship

My novel will be available soon. I am in the last stages of editing.

But one thing keeps nagging at me.

I am not happy with the name of the ship in my book.

I have named it twice and I am not crazy about either names. I have one last chance to change it and I need your help.

So a little background. This is a pirate ship in the early 18th century. It's name needs to sound realistic. It needs to sound ominous. But it can't be obvious because it is awhile before our heroin realizes the vessel is a pirate ship.

My first name was Furtuna del Fuego (Fire's Fortune) and the second name was Banshee.

I don't feel that either is quite right. So I want your help coming up with a new name.

A few actual ship names from the Golden Age of Piracy are:
Adventure Galley 
Fortune
Queen Anne's Revenge
Bachelor's Delight 
The Golden Hind
Sea King
The Great Ranger

Some great fictional ship names:
The Black Pearl
The Dauntless
Nautilus
Poseidon
Red October
Dawn Treader

(Too bad I can't steal some heavy metal bands - Black Sabbath; Quiet Riot, Megadeath, Iron Maiden? Perfect!)

Anyway, here are some options I am looking at now. Please rank them in the order you like. The survey takes less than 2 minutes. Pleeeeease help.

Use the comments section of this post to tell me your opinion of any of these names or suggest new names.

Thanks!


3 comments:

Meagan said...

I took your survey but I like the name "Undaunted Fury" or "Ocean's Serpent" Good luck! I am just chomping at the bit to see how much you have changed this book since I read it 5 years ago! Loved it!

Ashley said...

I also like just Fortuna.

Naming things is hard. Good luck!

Frederick Family said...

Mason suggests:
Phantom Scarab
The Rathe or Phantom Rathe
The Seaman's Locker
Scarab's Revenge

His vote from your list would be: Would be for Fuego de Fortuna

I like the above suggestion of Ocean's Serpent.

I also took the survey.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here