Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Live with an Angel

I am sometimes overwhelmed by the amazing little girl I have in my home. I am beyond lucky to have the privilege of being her mother. Beyond lucky.



Today was just full of magical moments with my almost-four-year-old.

We were driving home from work/daycare and chatting. I sang a song to her and she said, "Mom, you sing so beautifully."

"I do?" I was genuinely surprised. She normally says that my singing hurts her ears.

"Yes. You can sing at my ballet." I have no clue what she is talking about but I am flattered anyway.

She said something else that was just adorable. I want her to know she is more than just "cute" and "adorable" so I told her this, "Joci, listen to me. You are clever. Do you know what that means? It means you are smart and funny and you are good at so many things."

She beamed. "I am clever." Then she got a sheepish look on her face. "But I lost a ticket." (That's a consequence at her preschool.) I told her I knew she lost a ticket. And then she said, "We all make mistakes but it just means we can try again tomorrow."

We pulled into our driveway after daycare/work and Joci got out to help me open the garage door. A beautiful gray cat was hanging around like usual, mewing loudly. This cat has been sneaking into the garage for months for something to eat. I do not know if she has a home or not (I will give her one!). Joci has dubbed her Seraphina. The first thing Joci noticed was that the cat was wet from the rain.

"Oh, no! We have to dry the cat off!" she said as we lifted the garage. I knew the cat wasn't too bothered by the weather - it was more excited to get some food. I pulled the car into the garage while Joci stood to the side watching to make sure the cat didn't dodge in front of the wheels. I got out of the car and told her it was okay to move, and before I knew it she had her coat off. "Pink coats can dry off cats," she said as she wrapped her little coat around a soaking wet cat who seemed grateful.

Inside the house chaos as usual erupted. Noelle is always hungry and ready for bed. Joci is hungry. As am I. And I have to go to the bathroom. So Noelle was on the floor in the hall while I took a half a minute use the bathroom. Without even having to ask her, Joci danced for her baby sister and played patty cake to stop her from crying.

Later in the evening, I was reading in a bubble bath while Joci was doing her own thing. She came to visit me and said, "You don't have any toys!" She proceeded to open the cupboard and dump her entire toy bucket on me. She hiked up her pants and dipped her feet in the water. She was begging to get in but I didn't want her to. I instructed her to get out and go back to her movie. She climbed out and sank down next to the tub, her arms resting on her knees. "Can I just sit here and talk to you?"

How can I say no to that? In the end, she ended up in the bath with me. These moments are precious and she is such a precious soul. I should take advantage of these sweet, innocent years. The cherry on top of the night was when she looked at my bare chest and complimented me on my beautiful nipples.

5 comments:

Jamie Boyd said...

Haha! Wow, I did not see that ending coming. Nice.

It sounds like you had a much better day with Joci than I had with my kids. I should try harder at that :) Joci is such a sweetheart.

Emily said...

bwahahaha! My one of my favorite moments with my daughter is when she tells people that when she is "A dult (not adult) she is going to have big nipples like mommy"...

Richelle Lynn Garn said...

What a sweet little girl you have. Tender mercies. I miss you Lara.
Smooch!

Love, Richelle

Liz Smith said...

LOL!!! so awesome.

Melissa said...

LOVE IT. I just told my husband yesterday, "God sends angels right? Because our baby is an angel for sure." Such sweet innocent spirits they are.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here